Monday, July 12, 2010

Jerusalem

On Sunday I went to the Lutheran church here in Bethlehem, which is really beautiful. The minister, Mitri Raheb, wrote Bethlehem Besieged: Stories of Hope in Times of Trouble. I read the book just after I arrived here, and it gives a vivid picture of life here in Bethlehem during the turmoil of 2002. After church, I went to Jerusalem. It is so close to Bethlehem geographically, and yet to the Palestinians it must seem like it is worlds away as it is so very difficult for them to go there. After I walked thru the checkpoint, I caught a bus for 4.5 Shekals ($1.20) that took me to the Damascus Gate of the Old City. I just love the Old City!! I went to the Tower of David Museum, which was very interesting. I find it fascinating that this is such a special city for so much of the world, and looking at its history, it has been for thousands of years! I had dinner with two American couples I have met here. We enjoyed walking through the old city, and I easily caught the bus back to the checkpoint in Bethlehem. I look forward to going in again before I leave to go to the holy sites. It is amazing to just think about walking where Jesus and the disciples walked!

No comments: